Friday, June 25, 2010

The best relationship analogy ever

My youth minister was a big believer in discipleship and having a daily, walking relationship with Jesus Christ. He used the following analosy often:

Let's say I call you or talk with you and say, "I want us to have a relationship. I really like you and care about you, so I'd like to get to know you and have a relationship." Now, you like me too, so you are very happy, and you say, "That's great! What kind of dates will we go on?" I say, "Well, see, I am really busy, and I have lots of important things to do. So I'm not sure how much time I can spend going on dates." You're a little disaapointed, but you understand. There are more things going on in life besides one relationship, right? So you respond, "Okay, I understnd. Do you need my phone number?" I clear my throat for a bit..."I'm not that much of a talker. It's just how I am. I don't really feel comfortable talking on the phone a lot." Again, you're a little hurt. But you really do care about me, so you try one more time. "Well, I like letters. I'll be glad to just write letters when you're busy." I finally get a little defensive. "You know, honestly, I don't really DO letters. But I told you I cared and wanted a relationship. Isn't that enough?" I apologize to Jeff Noblit for fancying up his analogy a bit :)

Do you know why this analogy is so powerful when illustrating the relationship Christ wants with us? Because if you have ever been in a normal relationship or seen one modeled, you KNOW that the relationship illustrated above is NO relationship. And you know that you would not be satisfied with that kind of relationship....it's built on selfishness and laziness. It made a lasting impression on me with regard to the kind of spiritual life I wanted to have, and even when I haven't stayed true to that level of closeness with God, I have known in my heart of hearts that it is what He wants and what I need.

So what IS the point of this analogy in a blog 25 years after I first heard it? I guess I just wanted to clarify again in my own heart and life what makes a relationship - any relationship - an actual relationship and not just something to pass the time, give us fire insurance, or change our last names. So look at your own relationships. Are they relationships in word or on paper or in theory? Or are they relationships is action -- regular, ongoing, unselfish action?

No comments:

Post a Comment