Monday, May 3, 2010

May Third

Today I saw some vibrant flowers. They were a wonderful contrast to the colorless, rainy weather. It made me think of a line I remember reading from one of my lit classes..."a flower in a mud puddle." I don't even remember who wrote it.

I have many thoughts today. It's no different from any other day, really, except that I have not had the distractions today, the required activities that refocus my mental ramblings. I am troubled by a dream I had. I used to dream so vividly I could remember each detail. The lithium has blurred the lines of my dreams so that they are only brief clips and images of a bigger picture I will not see no matter how hard I try to remember. I remember being in court, testifying on my own behalf. I was wearing a strange shirt that closed on the side. When I opened the shirt in a dramatic, sweeping move, a gaping wound covered my abdomen. I remember thinking that when they jury saw my wound, their hearts would be pierced with empathy and even shame. Instead, they rolled their eyes and began texting. Funny, it's mid-afternoon, and my side hurts from the imaginary injury.

My life is changing, which is bound to happen from time to time. What will those changes entail? I do not know. But I know that what has always been real will remain, and what has never been real has already crumbled. And the only things of value are the things that are real.

No comments:

Post a Comment