Tuesday, May 11, 2010

memory? I can't remember

I realized at some point yesterday that my last two posts were almost identical. I posted yesterday because I had not had time to post Sunday evening...except that I DID post Sunday evening. This happens more and more frequently. It is actually a physiological response in bipolar disorder, not only to medication, but also to high amounts of stress. At least I think that is what I read...I can't remember. Yes, I know, bad joke.

I bought a Mental Health Awareness ribbon in March. Actually, it is a small green pin shaped like a ribbon. I had great aspirations of wearing it each day in May. I haven't. And not just because I can't remember. If someone were to ask what the ribbon meant, could I say? Could I answer? Would that somehow be inappropriate, and if so, does that mean I am inappropriate? What if I had a different illness? Would it be appropriate to wear a ribbon for that? How far have we progressed in erasing the stigma? is mental illness now fine and perfectly understood.....as long as no one talks about it? There are other questions in my mind, but they are too pointed, to specific. And because the answer to the previous question is no in so many ways....these are questions that I truly cannot ask.

Ah, well. Time marches onward. I will be 42 in a few days. I will never be 37 or younger again. I will only be who I am now and forward. So that will be enough...or it won't. All I can do is be the Laurie that time and 2010 allows me to be. Thank you to J, K B, J, K, J, M, S, Mom, Dad, MIL, SIL, BIL, FIL, niece, nephew, son, daughter, and the God who created the universe....for saying that that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment